Welcome to 2022! We turn 5 years old this very month and we are so very excited to share that with you! If you’ve bought and/or reviewed out books, supported our Patreon, hosted us and helped us spread the word about our books and the Press, you’ve helped us get here, so thank you very much! And if you’re new here, welcome! We hope you like it.
Now on to the birthday month shenanigans. We had originally hoped to have an in person birthday party at DreamHaven Books, but given where things are at pandemic-wise, decided to postpone a few months. Here’s what we’re doing instead:
- Follow us on Twitter for fun facts about the Press, our authors, our cover artists and what we’ve been up to.
- Jennie Goloboy has a terrific new interview and reading from Obviously, Aliens up at the Tales from the Trunk Podcast.
- The North Country Gaylaxians Book Club hosted a good discussion about The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper by A.J. Fitzwater on 1/11 at 7PM CST.
- Drawings and readings and other fun stuff! We’ll be doing some prize drawings for newsletter subscribers as well as our Twitter and FB followers, posting some new reading videos and more! Prizes include some of our books, our new tea blend from Bingley’s Teas, a couple of pairs of Elise Matthesen’s book-themed earrings and more! The fun will kick off on 1/15 so please stay tuned.
- BOOK SALE! Our 5 Day/5th Birthday Book Sales kicks off on 1/27 and runs through 1/31 right here on our website! Buy direct from us for some great deals!
- Plus, there’ll be a lot of great stuff coming in the rest of 2022! Thanks for joining us!
Queen of Swords Press Newsletter – December, 2021
Wishing all of you a safe and happy holiday season! May 2022 bring good things our way!
- DisCon III – December 15th-19th, Washington, D.C. We’ve applied for (and expect to get) a virtual Dealer’s Room table and Alex Acks and Jennie Goloboy are on programming. Alex is up for a Hugo Award as part of the Skiffy and Fanty Podcast crew, and artist Laya Rose, who created the cover for Foxhunt, is up in the Best Fan Artist category. Best of luck to them both!
- AZ Gallery/Books and Beer Pop-Up Bookstore – December 18th, 12-5 PM, St. Paul. Catherine Lundoff will be there with some selected titles.
- Stay tuned for the Smashwords End of Year Sale between Christmas and New Year’s for some great deals on our ebooks!
Good luck, Laya!
News About Our Authors:
- Magers & Quinn Booksellers – December 8th, 7 PM, Minneapolis. Jennie will be on a virtual science fiction panel with authors A.J. Hackwith, John Appel and Amber Bird. Follow the link to register.
- Jennie did a reading from Obviously, Aliens at Strong Women, Strange Worlds, which you can watch back on YouTube. Jennie will also be participating in the Strong Women, Strange Worlds Year-End Holiday Extravaganza on December 12th.
- Obviously, Aliens got a nice review at Hugo Award-nominated blog, Nerds of a Feather, from reviewer Paul Weimer, who is up for two Hugos this year.
will keep a smile on your face.” – Paul Weimer
- Big News! Catherine has accepted an invitation to be the Author Guest of Honor at MarsCon 2022 in Minneapolis! MarsCon will be happening March 11th-13th, 2022 and, plague permitting, will be in person. More bulletins as we have them.
- Minnesota Women’s Art Festival – December 11th, 9:30-4:30, St. Mary’s University, Minneapolis. Catherine Lundoff will be sharing a table with book artist Jana Pullman. Locals can pick up their gift package orders here too!
- Catherine has a new article up at DreamFoundry – “Crafting an Anthology.”
- Rem was interviewed on The WROTE Podcast.
- And Rem appeared at EnQueer, Australia’s first queer lit festival!
- Foxhunt was a Runner Up for Best Transgender Speculative Fiction and Best Transgender Book in the 2021 Rainbow Awards!
- The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper was a Runner Up in the Rainbow Awards under LGBTA Anthology/Collection and Best Lesbian Book! Congrats, AJ!
Queen of Swords Press is supported by Catherine Lundoff’s Patreon (Read a serialized novel in progress! Get entered to win free books!) and our Ko-fi account, if you’d like to send a little more love our way. Many thanks to our awesome patrons!
Our titles are all available in print as well as ebook (except Knife’s Edge and Desire which are ebook only). Check our website for available formats and remember that your library or cool local indie bookstore can order our titles in, if they don’t already have them.
If you have enjoyed any of our titles and haven’t already done so, please post a review on the site where you purchased it, Goodreads, your social media, etc.! They are much needed and appreciated. Many thanks to those of you who’ve reviewed our titles so far!
This one will be really straightforward:
Foxhunt by Rem Wigmore, Obviously, Aliens by Jennie Goloboy and Blood Moon by Catherine Lundoff were all published by us in 2021 and are eligible for awards for novel-length work (over 80k words, in this case). All 3 are currently nominated for awards ranging from the Lambda Literary Awards to the Minnesota Book Awards. Foxhunt and Aliens are both science fiction, Blood Moon is fantasy/dark fantasy. Rem, Jennie and A.J. also have short fiction that is award-eligible for the Hugo’s, Nebulas, etc. and Alex is up for their podcast work on the Skiffy and Fanty Show. Catherine could be nominated for best long form editor or related but thinks that’s a bit of a stretch. Thanks for considering!
Queen of Swords Press News:
Obviously, Aliens by Jennie Goloboy is out NOW and available everywhere including direct from our webstore!
Gift package reminder – Get Aliens or one of our titles with our tasty new tea blend from Bingley’s Teas and a Queen of Swords Press mug!
Geek Girl Con – we’ll have a virtual table at this fun con again this year! Enter GGCon21 at checkout from 11/13-11/14 to get 10% our books when you buy direct from our “booth!”
Feminist Book Club Holiday Fair on 11/27, Seward Neighborhood, Minneapolis. We’ll have a table, we’ll have books and the tea package for sale AND Jennie will be joining us to sign books! Lots of other great local feminist-friendly businesses too!
Picture of tea package
Jennie Goloboy –
Jennie will have a post up about Obviously, Aliens at John Scalzi’s The Big Idea blog on 11/4!
Check out this 11/5 reading by Jennie and other great authors at Strong Women, Strange Worlds!
Signing at Feminist Book Club! See book table note above!
Rem Wigmore –
Rem’s queer solarpunk novel, Foxhunt, has gotten some great publicity, including a starred review in Publishers Weekly but we just as wowed by this piece by one of the editors of Solarpunk Magazine at Tor.com naming it “one of five essential climate-forward fiction.”
Foxhunt was recently featured in a sold-out gift box at Oasis Scents in Wellington, NZ and Rem is a featured author at
Verb Wellington, Wellington’s book festival. Rem was also featured on the Quilted Bananas Rado Show in Wellington last week.
Stay tuned for more fun stuff coming up!
We have two fun preorders up this month!
- Our tea + a mug + the book of your choice gift package is up! The tea is a terrific and tasty chai blend from our wonderful friends at Minneapolis’ own Bingley’s Teas and we highly recommend it!
- We’re releasing Minnesota author Jennie Goloboy’s hilarious science fiction novel, Obviously, Aliens, on November 1st, but you can preorder your copy now from our website. Amazon, B&N, Kobo and beyond.
- Look for the Queen of Swords Press table at Columbia Heights Pride on October 9th from 11-5 AM and at Twin Cities Book Festival on October 16th! We’ll be tabling with author Michael Merriam at TC Book Fest and Catherine will be appearing on the Local Author Showcase.
News About Our Authors:
- New! Rem was interviewed on the If This Goes On Podcast on 10/17!
- Foxhunt got a great shoutout as an “essential” solarpunk novel on Tor.com in this great article about solarpunk by Justine Norton-Kertson!
- Rem was a guest on the Tales from the Trunk Podcast on October 1st.
- You can also listen to a delightful 5 minute reading from Foxhunt, hosted by Arty Bees Bookstore in Wellington.
Foxhunt has been getting some terrific reviews! You can find links to some of them here, including this new one from Bookstagrammer @Bankrupt_bookworm!
Rem will be appearing at the Verb Wellington Readers and Writers Festival in November and has a bunch of other fun stuff coming up!
Lucky folks at the Nelson Arts Festival will get to hear A.J. read from Out Here: An Anthology of Takatāpui and LGBTQIA+ Writers from Aotearoa on October 25th at the Suter Theatre. They’ll also be appearing at WORD Christchurch next month. In the meantime, they’re working on a new novel during their arts residency at The Arts Centre in Christchurch. And Cinrak continues to get great reviews like this one!
Jennie will have a a Big Idea post on John Scalzi’s blog on November 4th and will be reading on the Strong Women, Strange Worlds webcast on November 5th. Stay tuned for more local events and readings in the November newsletter!
Emily L. Byrne:
Emily Byrne’s story “Diplomacy” was recently featured on the Nobilis Erotica Podcast.
Lots more coming up soon! Please stay tuned!
It will be coming out 11/1, but you can preorder it in ebook today direct from us or at Amazon. It will be up at other major ebook platforms in the next couple of days and available in print once Terry works her magic. We’ll also get our new tea/mug/book gift package up this week, so lots of fun stuff coming your way!
- Twin Cities Pagan Pride – Saturday, September 11th. Minneapolis, MN. Look for some of our books at author Michael Merriam’s vendor table and check out Mike’s latest steampunk title too! If you like Alex Acks’s work, we think you’ll like Mike’s too.
- St. Cloud Pride in the Park – Saturday, September 18th, 11-3PM. St. Cloud, MN. Queen of Swords Press will have a booth – come visit!
- MCBF Fall Con – Saturday, September 25th, 10-6PM. St. Paul, MN. Michael Merriam will be tabling in the vending area at our local comic con too! Stop by, say hi and get some of his books and ours!
- Rem Wigmore:
- Check out Rem’s new author interviews at evOke Publications and at author Jamie Sands’s blog.
- And new short stories coming out in the next couple of months: “Basil and the Wild” in The Middle Distance (Victoria University Press 2021) and “Why We Make Monsters” in Baffling Magazine Issue 2 (2021).
- A.J. Fitzwater:
- A.J. has an interview up at the Oamaru Mail News and has a a cool origin story for Cinrak and Orvillia and interview at Read New Zealand Te Pou Muramura.
- Plus a new short story coming out in October, “Offset,” in Out Here: An Anthology of Takatāpui and LGBTQIA+ Writers from Aotearoa, Auckland University Press, October 2021.
- Catherine Lundoff:
- Teaching Book Promotion on a Budget – Sunday, September 19th, 9:30-11:30AM PST at the Rambo Academy for Wayward Writers.
- Watch Catherine do a a fun new in costume interview and reading at Fae Productions!
- Jennie Goloboy:
- Jennie just sold a story to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and did a talk at the Coastal Georgia Historical Society on “Isabella and James Hamilton, Merchant Family of St. Simons, Charleston, and London.”
- We’ll have a cover reveal for her forthcoming humorous science fiction novel, Obviously, Aliens, next month! We’re planning on releasing Aliens in November.
- Emily L. Byrne:
New stuff coming next month with the Twin Cities Book Festival, the WROTE Podcast and more! Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss a thing!
FOXHUNT is a science fiction novel with a queer trans woman protagonist and a cast of LGBTQ+ characters. It is set several hundred years in Earth’s future, after a climate apocalypse. The new society is solar-powered, so it’s solarpunk; it deals with climate change and the impacts thereof, so it’s climate fiction; and it’s hopeful about humanity’s future, which is what makes it hopepunk. Welcome to my TED talk about current genre jargon! FOXHUNT has some great early reviews, including a starred review in Publishers Weekly! – FOXHUNT has an amazing cover by Hugo Award-nominated artist Laya Rose and gorgeous print book design by Terry Roy. FOXHUNT is available direct from Queen of Swords Press and everywhere else in print (note: we have a processing delay in our book order, but will have print copies in a couple of days) and ebook. Check out the video of Rem’s reading and stay tuned for a book giveaway this weekend and a Twitter interview with Rem Wigmore at @qospress and more fun things on the way!
Foxhunt just got a lovely starred review in Publishers Weekly. It says, in part: It’s an inclusive, optimistic vision of the future, rounded out by beautiful imagery and an effortlessly diverse cast. This enthralling story is a winner.” Read the rest of the review here. This is our first starred review for any of our titles and we’re very excited about it! Remember that you can preorder your copy directly from us as well as at all major outlets (print and ebook!).
And a mere 24 hours later, The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper by A.J. Fitzwater won the Sir Julius Vogel Award for Best Collection! A.J. also won for Best Novella with their terrific novella from Paper Road Press, No Man’s Land! In addition, cover artist Laya Rose (Foxhunt) won for Best Artist and our web master, Andi C. Buchanan won for Best Fan Writer! We are very proud of all of them! 😀
All kinds of fun stuff coming up this month!
- The Smashwords Summer/Winter Sale kicked off today and most of our books are are on sale!
- Foxhunt by Rem Wigmore is up for preorder! It will be coming out 8/20/21. If you like climate fiction and hopepunk with queer protagonists (or just plain great books), this is one you’ll want to check out!
- Strong Women, Strange Worlds – July 15th, 5PM EST. Online reading series. Catherine will be reading with several other authors in this new online science fiction and fantasy reading series.
- Madame Askew’s Temporal Entourage Book Club – July 18th, 6:30 CST. An online discussion of Alex Acks’s Wireless and More Steam-Powered Adventures. Alex will be Guest of Honor!
- Perfectly Queer – July 21, 9-10 PM PST. Queer author reading series currently running remote from Dog-Eared Books Castro in San Francisco, hosted by Richard May and Wayne Goodman. Catherine will be reading with Michael Nava and Vincent Meis.
- Golden Crown Literary Society – July 25th, 12PM EST (online). Catherine will be on a historical f/f fiction panel with cool writers. Stay tuned.
More coming soon!