We’ll be releasing a new edition of Minnesota author Michael Merriam’s terrific f/f urban fantasy set in Minneapolis, Last Car to Annwn Station,on 7/7/22! And we love Nathalie Gray of Kanaxa’s design for the cover! Preorders will be up very soon.
- Pride Month StoryBundle – June 1st-July 1st. Our annual event, this year featuring books by Melissa Scott, Heather Rose Jones, Rem Wigmore, Andi C. Buchanan, Jerry Wheeler, C.L. Clark and more! It will once again benefit Rainbow Railroad, an international nonprofit working with LGBTQ+ refugees and others fleeing persecution.
- Finding Your Path: An Agent and a Publisher Spill the Tea on Agenting and Small Press Publishing – Clarion West Writers Workshop – June 5th, 11AM-12PM PST. Online. Jennie Goloboy and Catherine Lundoff will be teaching this workshop where you can get a lot of your questions answered about agents and publishers and what we do. And it’s free!
- Library of Congress on 6/21! Pretty excited about this! Catherine Lundoff will be on “Queering Small Publishing,” a lunch and learn panel for LoC staff, including publishers from Neon Hemlock, Stelliform Press and Black Lesbian Feminist Press.
- Catherine was on the If This Goes On Podcast on 4/30 – https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/if-this-goes-on-dont-panic-alan-bailey-Qx_fTWkwl2d/
- “Creating New Worlds” – Geek Girl Con Twitch, June 14th, 7PM PST. Catherine will be on a panel about world building in science fiction and fantasy.
- 4th Street Fantasy – June 17-19th, Minneapolis. Catherine Lundoff, Jenny Goloboy and Michael Merriam will all be in attendance and around.
- Alex Acks has a new story out in StarcraftWar Chest (Blizzard Entertainment, 2022).
- The Language of Roses by Heather Rose Jones continues to get terrific reviews, including these two: Out in Print and The Lesbian Review. Heather just created a free tie-in coloring book, which you can get when you buy a copy of the book from her or us, while supplies last!
- We’ve added a TikTok! Check out short videos and watch Catherine figure out how it works!
We’ve got all sorts of things coming up!
Currently, that includes the SFWA Auction. Bid on signed copies of Blood Moon by Catherine Lundoff, Obviously, Aliens by Jennie Goloboy and Wireless by Alex Acks and help support SFWA scholarships and programming!
Other fun things coming up:
- Foxhunt by Rem Wigmore is a Sir Julius Vogel Award finalist for Best Novel! And Laya Rose is nominated for her cover art for it too! Congratulations to both of them and to our webmaster, Andi, who’s a finalist in another category!
- The Language of Roses is getting some great reviews, like this one from the Runalong the Shelves Book Blog and this one from James Nicoll Reviews.
- Heather Rose Jones was a guest reader at FOGCon on 4/30 and will be reading at the fab online reading series, Strong Women, Strange Worlds, on 5/19.
- Catherine Lundoff was on the If This Goes On Podcast on 4/30, along with author Matthew Kressel, talking about hopepunk, climate fiction, running a green business, and more.
- Rochester Pride – May 21st, 12-5pm. Rochester, MN. We’ll have a booth at this new-to-us event.
- WisCon – May 27th-30th. Madison, WI. We’ll have a table in the Dealer’s Room and Heather Rose Jones and Catherine will both be on programming.
Things coming up in June
- Pride Month StoryBundle – June 1st – July 1st. Our annual event, this year featuring books by Melissa Scott, Heather Rose Jones, Rem Wigmore, and others to be announced. It will once again benefit Rainbow Railroad, an international nonprofit working with LGBTQ refugees!
- Finding Your Path: An Agent and a Publisher Spill the Tea on Agenting and Small Press Publishing – Clarion West Writers Workshop – June 5th, 11AM-12:30PM PST. Online and free. Jennie Goloboy and Catherine will be teaching this workshop where you can get your questions answered and learn cool and nifty things about what agents do, what publishers do and what to consider doing with your books.
- Queering Small Press Publishing – June 21, 12-1PM. Library of Congress. Catherine Lundoff will be on a panel for Library of Congress staff with publishers from Neon Hemlock, Stelliform Press and BLF Press. Not open to the public, alas, but very cool anyway.
More coming soon!
We’re very excited to announce our 14th title – The Language of Roses by Heather Rose Jones is a novella-length queer retelling of Beauty and the Beast with a twist and it is out everywhere today! You can buy direct from us or at these fine outlets. It’s getting some lovely early reviews on Goodreads!
A Beauty. A Beast. A Curse. This is not the story you know…
We’ve been wildly busy!
Here’s some of the things you can watch, listen to or join in on, depending on what’s going on:
Check out StabbyCon on r/fantasy forum on Reddit to see Catherine Lundoff on the Gothic Fantasy panel and Rem Wigmore is on the roundtable on writing gender in speculative fiction.
Write on! Radio KFAI – March 15th, 7-8PM CST. Streaming or on your radio dial. Jennie Goloboy, Michael Merriam and Catherine Lundoff were on this long running local radio show to talk about Queen of Swords Press !
Rem Wigmore was on the Queer Words Podcast on 3/1 and on Hannah’s Bookshelf on 1066 North Manchester FM in the U.K. on 2/22!
Flights of Foundry – April 9th-10th. Online. Queen of Swords Press will have a virtual booth and Rem, A.J. and Catherine will be on programming.
The Language of Roses by Heather Rose Jones will be out on 4/14! You can preorder from us or everywhere else AND it is available on the SFWA NetGalley if you’re a reviewer who uses NG (and if you don’t, feel free to contact us directly).
More coming soon!
Welcome to 2022! We turn 5 years old this very month and we are so very excited to share that with you! If you’ve bought and/or reviewed out books, supported our Patreon, hosted us and helped us spread the word about our books and the Press, you’ve helped us get here, so thank you very much! And if you’re new here, welcome! We hope you like it.
Now on to the birthday month shenanigans. We had originally hoped to have an in person birthday party at DreamHaven Books, but given where things are at pandemic-wise, decided to postpone a few months. Here’s what we’re doing instead:
- Follow us on Twitter for fun facts about the Press, our authors, our cover artists and what we’ve been up to.
- Jennie Goloboy has a terrific new interview and reading from Obviously, Aliens up at the Tales from the Trunk Podcast.
- The North Country Gaylaxians Book Club hosted a good discussion about The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper by A.J. Fitzwater on 1/11 at 7PM CST.
- Drawings and readings and other fun stuff! We’ll be doing some prize drawings for newsletter subscribers as well as our Twitter and FB followers, posting some new reading videos and more! Prizes include some of our books, our new tea blend from Bingley’s Teas, a couple of pairs of Elise Matthesen’s book-themed earrings and more! The fun will kick off on 1/15 so please stay tuned.
- BOOK SALE! Our 5 Day/5th Birthday Book Sales kicks off on 1/27 and runs through 1/31 right here on our website! Buy direct from us for some great deals!
- Plus, there’ll be a lot of great stuff coming in the rest of 2022! Thanks for joining us!
Queen of Swords Press Newsletter – December, 2021
Wishing all of you a safe and happy holiday season! May 2022 bring good things our way!
- DisCon III – December 15th-19th, Washington, D.C. We’ve applied for (and expect to get) a virtual Dealer’s Room table and Alex Acks and Jennie Goloboy are on programming. Alex is up for a Hugo Award as part of the Skiffy and Fanty Podcast crew, and artist Laya Rose, who created the cover for Foxhunt, is up in the Best Fan Artist category. Best of luck to them both!
- AZ Gallery/Books and Beer Pop-Up Bookstore – December 18th, 12-5 PM, St. Paul. Catherine Lundoff will be there with some selected titles.
- Stay tuned for the Smashwords End of Year Sale between Christmas and New Year’s for some great deals on our ebooks!
Good luck, Laya!
News About Our Authors:
- Magers & Quinn Booksellers – December 8th, 7 PM, Minneapolis. Jennie will be on a virtual science fiction panel with authors A.J. Hackwith, John Appel and Amber Bird. Follow the link to register.
- Jennie did a reading from Obviously, Aliens at Strong Women, Strange Worlds, which you can watch back on YouTube. Jennie will also be participating in the Strong Women, Strange Worlds Year-End Holiday Extravaganza on December 12th.
- Obviously, Aliens got a nice review at Hugo Award-nominated blog, Nerds of a Feather, from reviewer Paul Weimer, who is up for two Hugos this year.
will keep a smile on your face.” – Paul Weimer
- Big News! Catherine has accepted an invitation to be the Author Guest of Honor at MarsCon 2022 in Minneapolis! MarsCon will be happening March 11th-13th, 2022 and, plague permitting, will be in person. More bulletins as we have them.
- Minnesota Women’s Art Festival – December 11th, 9:30-4:30, St. Mary’s University, Minneapolis. Catherine Lundoff will be sharing a table with book artist Jana Pullman. Locals can pick up their gift package orders here too!
- Catherine has a new article up at DreamFoundry – “Crafting an Anthology.”
- Rem was interviewed on The WROTE Podcast.
- And Rem appeared at EnQueer, Australia’s first queer lit festival!
- Foxhunt was a Runner Up for Best Transgender Speculative Fiction and Best Transgender Book in the 2021 Rainbow Awards!
- The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper was a Runner Up in the Rainbow Awards under LGBTA Anthology/Collection and Best Lesbian Book! Congrats, AJ!
Queen of Swords Press is supported by Catherine Lundoff’s Patreon (Read a serialized novel in progress! Get entered to win free books!) and our Ko-fi account, if you’d like to send a little more love our way. Many thanks to our awesome patrons!
Our titles are all available in print as well as ebook (except Knife’s Edge and Desire which are ebook only). Check our website for available formats and remember that your library or cool local indie bookstore can order our titles in, if they don’t already have them.
If you have enjoyed any of our titles and haven’t already done so, please post a review on the site where you purchased it, Goodreads, your social media, etc.! They are much needed and appreciated. Many thanks to those of you who’ve reviewed our titles so far!
This one will be really straightforward:
Foxhunt by Rem Wigmore, Obviously, Aliens by Jennie Goloboy and Blood Moon by Catherine Lundoff were all published by us in 2021 and are eligible for awards for novel-length work (over 80k words, in this case). All 3 are currently nominated for awards ranging from the Lambda Literary Awards to the Minnesota Book Awards. Foxhunt and Aliens are both science fiction, Blood Moon is fantasy/dark fantasy. Rem, Jennie and A.J. also have short fiction that is award-eligible for the Hugo’s, Nebulas, etc. and Alex is up for their podcast work on the Skiffy and Fanty Show. Catherine could be nominated for best long form editor or related but thinks that’s a bit of a stretch. Thanks for considering!
Queen of Swords Press News:
Obviously, Aliens by Jennie Goloboy is out NOW and available everywhere including direct from our webstore!
Gift package reminder – Get Aliens or one of our titles with our tasty new tea blend from Bingley’s Teas and a Queen of Swords Press mug!
Geek Girl Con – we’ll have a virtual table at this fun con again this year! Enter GGCon21 at checkout from 11/13-11/14 to get 10% our books when you buy direct from our “booth!”
Feminist Book Club Holiday Fair on 11/27, Seward Neighborhood, Minneapolis. We’ll have a table, we’ll have books and the tea package for sale AND Jennie will be joining us to sign books! Lots of other great local feminist-friendly businesses too!
Picture of tea package
Jennie Goloboy –
Jennie will have a post up about Obviously, Aliens at John Scalzi’s The Big Idea blog on 11/4!
Check out this 11/5 reading by Jennie and other great authors at Strong Women, Strange Worlds!
Signing at Feminist Book Club! See book table note above!
Rem Wigmore –
Rem’s queer solarpunk novel, Foxhunt, has gotten some great publicity, including a starred review in Publishers Weekly but we just as wowed by this piece by one of the editors of Solarpunk Magazine at Tor.com naming it “one of five essential climate-forward fiction.”
Foxhunt was recently featured in a sold-out gift box at Oasis Scents in Wellington, NZ and Rem is a featured author at
Verb Wellington, Wellington’s book festival. Rem was also featured on the Quilted Bananas Rado Show in Wellington last week.
Stay tuned for more fun stuff coming up!
We have two fun preorders up this month!
- Our tea + a mug + the book of your choice gift package is up! The tea is a terrific and tasty chai blend from our wonderful friends at Minneapolis’ own Bingley’s Teas and we highly recommend it!
- We’re releasing Minnesota author Jennie Goloboy’s hilarious science fiction novel, Obviously, Aliens, on November 1st, but you can preorder your copy now from our website. Amazon, B&N, Kobo and beyond.
- Look for the Queen of Swords Press table at Columbia Heights Pride on October 9th from 11-5 AM and at Twin Cities Book Festival on October 16th! We’ll be tabling with author Michael Merriam at TC Book Fest and Catherine will be appearing on the Local Author Showcase.
News About Our Authors:
- New! Rem was interviewed on the If This Goes On Podcast on 10/17!
- Foxhunt got a great shoutout as an “essential” solarpunk novel on Tor.com in this great article about solarpunk by Justine Norton-Kertson!
- Rem was a guest on the Tales from the Trunk Podcast on October 1st.
- You can also listen to a delightful 5 minute reading from Foxhunt, hosted by Arty Bees Bookstore in Wellington.
Foxhunt has been getting some terrific reviews! You can find links to some of them here, including this new one from Bookstagrammer @Bankrupt_bookworm!
Rem will be appearing at the Verb Wellington Readers and Writers Festival in November and has a bunch of other fun stuff coming up!
Lucky folks at the Nelson Arts Festival will get to hear A.J. read from Out Here: An Anthology of Takatāpui and LGBTQIA+ Writers from Aotearoa on October 25th at the Suter Theatre. They’ll also be appearing at WORD Christchurch next month. In the meantime, they’re working on a new novel during their arts residency at The Arts Centre in Christchurch. And Cinrak continues to get great reviews like this one!
Jennie will have a a Big Idea post on John Scalzi’s blog on November 4th and will be reading on the Strong Women, Strange Worlds webcast on November 5th. Stay tuned for more local events and readings in the November newsletter!
Emily L. Byrne:
Emily Byrne’s story “Diplomacy” was recently featured on the Nobilis Erotica Podcast.
Lots more coming up soon! Please stay tuned!
It will be coming out 11/1, but you can preorder it in ebook today direct from us or at Amazon. It will be up at other major ebook platforms in the next couple of days and available in print once Terry works her magic. We’ll also get our new tea/mug/book gift package up this week, so lots of fun stuff coming your way!