If you live in the Twin Cities metro area within 10 miles of Bancroft Elementary in South Minneapolis, we will happily deliver either handmade boxes and journals from Jana Pullman’s Etsy or books from Queen of Swords Press (or both!) through 12/20. Porch pick up with contactless pay through PayPal or Venmo is definitely an option too! Get your last minute shopping in now, buy local and save on shipping! Books by Catherine Lundoff can be signed.
Here’s an award eligibility post for all Queen of Swords Press authors, artists, web master and all!
- No Man’s Land (Paper Road Press, 2020). Historical fantasy. Novella.
- “Cetaceous Secrets of the Jewelled Nadir” and “Flight of the Hydro Chorus,” both in The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper. (short stories). The 3 other nonreprint stories in the collection: “Young Cinrak”, “Perfidy at the Felidae Isles and “The Hirsute Pursuit” are also eligible; the other 2 stories are reprints. And you should read the whole collection because it’s awesome.
- “How to Build a Unicorn” in Fireside Magazine (June, 2020) . Short story.
- “Cascade” in The Future Fire (Summer, 2020). Short story.
- “Tāne Mahuta” in Andromeda Spaceways Magazine #79 (June, 2020). Short story.
– this was my year for mystery and historicals, but hey, just in case:
- “The Adventure of the Missing Fiancé.” The Book of Extraordinary Sherlock Holmes Stories edited by Maxim Jakubowski. Mango Books, 2020. (Mystery).
- “Cardinal’s Gambit,” LHMP Podcast, 2020 edited by Heather Rose Jones and narrated by Cherae Clark. (Historical F/F)
- “The Rani’s Dream,” Sherlock Holmes and the Occult Detectives edited by John Linwood Grant. Belanger Books, 2020.(Mystery, with supernatural elements)
- “Inheritance,” March, 2020. Haunting Shadows: The Wraith: The Oblivion 20th Anniversary Anthology edited by Matt McElroy. Onyx Path Publishing. (Media tie-in/Horror)
- “Class Photo” – Letter to Yesterday Podcast, June, 2020. (Autobiographical essay – included so I can use in my end of year post).
(story in Scourge of the Seas of Time (and Space
Andi C. Buchanan (our webmaster): 2020 short fiction publications –
Cover artist (for Cinrak):
Queen of Swords Press Newsletter – November, 2020
Thanks for signing up for Queen of Swords Press news!
Book bundle! We’ll be participating in the first ever Midwest Spec-Fic Book Box, organized by the lovely people at Atthis Arts in Detroit, running from 11/8-11/20. You can order the box from the Atthis Arts website. It will cost you $50 (plus tax and shipping) and will include:
- Pimp My Airship by Maurice Broaddus, Apex Book Company, Lexington, Kentucky
- The Traveling Triple-C Incorporeal Circus by Alanna McFall, Atthis Arts, Detroit, Michigan
- Dominion: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction from Africa and the African Diaspora, Aurelia Leo, Louisville, Kentucky
- Murder on the Titania and Other Steam-Powered Adventures by Alex Acks, Queen of Swords Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Digital Downloads: Included e-books downloads of the four books above.
- One Mystery Book: Don’t worry, it’ll be a good title, something we hope you’ll love.
- Coupons and Swag: A little extra holiday love from the team, with our sincere thanks for supporting Midwest Indie Fiction.
Support some small presses, get some great reads!
- Queen of Swords is a vendor at WomenVenture’s Women Mean Business this year. The Marketplace will be up through 11/21 and the spotlight event and auction will be happening on 11/13 from 4-6PM. We also have items in the fundraising auction. WomenVenture is a local nonprofit that helps women launch and grow businesses in Minnesota, and Catherine took their business launch classes before starting Queen of Swords. The event on the 13th is free and online, so please consider joining us!
Queen of Swords Press Upcoming Events:
Please stay tuned for a cover reveal, coming to our newsletter subscribers and Patreon supporters first, of Blood Moon by Catherine Lundoff! The long-awaited sequel to Silver Moon will be out in March, with more about Becca, Erin and the Wolf’s Point Pack.
Queen of Swords Press Recent Events:
We are in your YouTubes, talking about things!
- Check out A.J. Fitzwater and our webmaster, Andi Buchanan, talking about New Zealand Speculative Fiction at CONZealand.
- Alex Acks does a reading at MileHiCon.
- Catherine Lundoff talked about queer fantasy and queer horror at MultiverseCon and moderates a rockstar panel on LGBTQ Protagonists in SF/F at Confluence SFF.
Queen of Swords Press is supported by Catherine Lundoff’s Patreon (Read a serialized novel in progress! Get entered to win free books!) and our Ko-fi account, if you’d like to send a little more love our way. Many thanks to our awesome patrons!
Check our website for available book formats and remember that your library or cool local indie bookstore can order our titles in if you ask. If you have enjoyed any of our titles, please post a review on the site where you purchased it, Goodreads, your social media, etc.! They are much needed and appreciated. Many thanks to those of you who’ve reviewed our titles so far!
More about the Press:
See our website for more info and calls for submission.
Please follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Thanks for signing up!
- VerbWellington – November 5-8th. Wellington, New Zealand. A.J. Fitzwater and A.C. Buchanan (who is also the Queen of Swords Press webmaster) are appearing at this fab writer’s festival in New Zealand.
- Midwest Spec-Fic Book Box – November 5th-20th. 4 small presses, 5 books + surprises = the perfect holiday gift for the sf/f fan in your life! Queen of Swords Press, Atthis Arts, Apex Book Publishing and Aurelia Leo are collaborating on a gift box full of amazing reads featuring titles by Alex Acks, Maurice Broaddus, Alanna McFall, Zelda Knight and Ekpeki Oghenechovwe Donald and more! Follow link to order from Atthis Arts.
- WomenVenture Women Mean Business – November 13th, 4-6PM CST. Online. Annual fundraiser and reception for WomenVenture, a local nonprofit that supports women starting and owning their own businesses in Minnesota. Queen of Swords Press will be in the Marketplace from 11/7-11/21; Nov. 13th is the actual event.
- In Flagrante Delicto: Writing Effective Sex Scenes – November 22, 11:30-1:30 CST. Teaching at the Rambo Academy.
All kinds of fun! Please join us!
As you can see, October’s going to be a bit nuts! We have back to back and sometimes, simultaneous events, so we’re just going to have a month long sale instead of event-specific specials. Stop by here 10/1-11/1 to get your deals on our books!
- Geek Girl Con – Online. Seattle, Washington. Queen of Swords Press has a table in the Virtual Exhibitor’s Hall from 10/1-11/1.
- C’monfluence – October 2-4, Pittsburgh, PA. Online – please preregister. Catherine Lundoff is a guest and has one Kaffeeklatsch (with Sarah Pinkster) and 4 panels.
- TC Quorum’s Coming Out Day Luncheon – 10/9, 9:00 AM – 1:30PM. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN. Online (register at Hop In – link at site).
- Cream & Amber’s Fall Mini-Market – October 10th, 10AM -2PM. In person! Outside and please wear a mask.
- Multiverse2020 – October 15-17th, Atlanta, Georgia. Now online! Catherine will be a guest and is on multiple panels and doing a reading.
- Twin Cities Book Festival – October 17th, St. Paul, MN. Online. Queen of Swords Press is a vendor once again.
- MileHiCon – October 23rd-25h, Denver, CO. Alex Acks will be doing a reading and 2 panels.
- Crimson Peaks and Menacing Mansions: Writing Gothic Horror – Catherine is teaching at the Rambo Academy online class.10/25 from 9:30-11:30 AM PST
- WORD Christchurch – 10/28-11/1. Christchurch, New Zealand. Look for A.J. Fitzwater on programming.
So I wrote down the end date for St. Cloud Pride instead of the start date, so surprise sales coupon starts today, instead of next week as I originally planned! We’re going to be one of the sponsors this year and the virtual events are kicking off today and tomorrow and running through the 20th. Follow along on their Facebook page. We’ll be part of tomorrow’s online Pride Parade and will be running a coupon all week. Enter StCloudPride at checkout right here on our website to get 15% off all purchases over $3, which is pretty much what we do for in person book sales, but this applies to both ebooks and print! Get some fun reads!
We’re vending at virtual Duluth Superior Pride this weekend! Use coupon code DSPride20 at checkout for all purchases over $3 from our website to get your discount through Labor Day! We also have a package of Catherine Lundoff’s signed titles in the auction. Bid early and often on the many fabulous items and help support Pride in the Northland!
Inspired by the fun that was had at Madame Askew’s Temporal Emporium Book Club last month, Alex Acks has posted a short reading from a tie-in story to Murder on the Titania and More Steam-Powered Adventures on their YouTube channel. “Sniff, Sniff, Adventure!” is a Chippy tale about the small dog from “The Curious Case of Miss Clementine Nimowitz.”
Check out Hannah’s Bookshelf Radio Show on North Manchester FM 1066 (U.K.) for recent interviews with Catherine Lundoff and reviews of The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper and Scourge of the Seas of Time (and Space).
Stay tuned for an upcoming interview with Catherine on the Glitchy Pancakes Podcast where she’ll be talking about the history of queer speculative fiction before 2010.
We’re officially open for Submissions through 10/1, so be sure and get your submission in soon!
The last 2 weeks have been/will be action-packed!
Last night, Alex Acks and I had a lot of fun chatting with Madame Askew’s Temporal Entourage Book Club. The video is here – they asked great questions and Alex had some great answers. We also tease mercilessly about a third Captain Ramos and Simms book.
Hannah Kate of “Hannah’s Bookshelf” on North Manchester Radio (U.K.) reviewed The Voyages of Cinrak the Dapper by A.J. Fitzwater on 8/15 and will be interviewing Catherine Lundoff on 8/22.
The Cast of Wonders Podcast (Escape Artists) is currently doing a series of serialized readings from Aleex Acks’s “The Curious Case of Miss Clementine Nimowitz” (published in Murder on the Titania and Other Steam-Powered Adventures).
Author Nathan Burgoine is continuing his thoughtful story by story review of Catherine Lundoff’s Out of This World: Queer Speculative Fiction Stories each week on his blog.
Also coming this weekend: Catherine will be teaching “Book Promotion on a Budget” at the Rambo Academy on 8/23 from 9:30-11:30 PST. There’s still room for a few more signups!
Stay turned for more fun ahead!
Here’s what we’ve got coming up! Please join us at all of these, if you can!
- PrideFest 2020 – August 15-16th. Pueblo, Colorado. Virtual Pride festival. Queen of Swords Press is a vendor.
- Madam Askew’s Temporal Entourage Book Club – August 16th, 4:30-5:30 MST. Online. Murder on the Titania and Other Steam-Powered Adventures by Alex Acks is the book club pick and Alex will be visiting to talk about Captain Marta Ramos, Simms and the rest of the crew. Join us for the fun!
- Book Promo on a Budget – August 23rd, 9:30-11:30 PMT, 11:30-1:30 CST. Online class that Catherine Lundoff is teaching at the Rambo Academy.
- And A.J. Fitzwater has an excellent author interview up at Fear No Lit.
Are you at CONZealand this week? Look for us in the Dealer’s Room and use this coupon, CONZL20 at checkout right here on our website to get 15% all your ebook purchases! You don’t even have to be at the con, since we know a lot of people couldn’t make it to begin with. Runs through 8/3.
If you are at the con, please look for A.J. Fitzwater, Alex Acks and Catherine Lundoff on programming, check out our pals at Paper Road Press and Pegasus Pulp and keep an eye out for our web designer, author Andi Buchanan. We hear that Andi may have some good news to announce soon and they’re on a bunch of great panels.
Last 4 days for the Smashwords sale! Get some great deals on our titles here too!
We’re also a vendor at online Outwrite in Washington D.C. this weekend so please look for us there too!